Havering Timeline

This is the draft version of the Havering Timeline. ©Havering Museum

Any additional stories, feedback or suggestions can be sent to HaveringTimeline@gmail.com;xNLx;;xNLx;;xNLx;This is very much an ongoing project so if you have any information about the beginning of your club, pub, school or church in Havering we would be happy for you to send us the information. ;xNLx;Any important events or people from the Borough are also of interest to us. Please don't send us any copyright material though unless you have the copyright holders permission. We can put in links to other websites where appropriate but we won't copy and paste other people's work or material.;xNLx;Acknowledgments:;xNLx;Friends of Havering Museum;xNLx;Havering Museum Volunteers;xNLx;Havering Local Studies Library;xNLx;Brian Evans;xNLx;The Past Revealed by Ian Wilkes, published by Havering Museum Ltd.;xNLx;+ others;xNLx;*;xNLx;*;xNLx;;xNLx;Pete Johnson;xNLx;Havering Museum;xNLx;;xNLx;19th March 2020;xNLx;©Havering Museum unless otherwise stated.;xNLx;;xNLx;;xNLx;;xNLx;;xNLx;

0900 BC-05-01 23:30:59

Havering Hoard deposited.

Weapons including axe heads, spearheads, fragments of swords, daggers and knives, alongside some other unusual objects rarely found in the UK, make up a total of 453 bronze objects that were probably deposited sometime between 900-800BC and remained undiscovered until 2019.

0946-09-01 00:00:00

Pyrgo Palace

Pyrgo Palace (originally Portegore) was probably built as a hunting lodge. Over the following 800 years or so it became the home of a great number of dowager queens and other royal persons. Pyrgo's history is tangled with that of the Royal Palace.

1060-09-01 00:00:00

Royal Palace of Havering

The Royal Palace of Havering originated as a hunting lodge in 1060 for Edward the Confessor.

1086-09-01 00:00:00

Domesday Book

The Domesday Book shows the area had 14 manors, the largest being Havering (which included Havering, Hornchurch and the hamlets of Romford and Collier Row) with a population 0f 405 villagers, small holders, slaves, freemen and their familes. Rainham had 211; Upminster 157; Cranham 130; North Ockendon 103; Great Warley 54 and Wennington 13.

1159-09-01 00:00:00

Suttons Manor

Suttons Manor was created by Henry II, who gave all the land between Abbs Cross Lane, Dover's Corner. the River Ingrebourne and Pelt Street (now High Street) to the Monastery of St. Nicolas and St. Bernard of Savoy in Switzerland in thanks for the hospitality given to a royal envoy in difficulties in the St. Bernard Pass between Switzerland and Italy. The name came from an early resident, but Suttons Lane was originally Lake Street, overlooking water now taken up by Hornchurch Railway Station. In 1392Richard II and the Pope agreed this land could be sold to William of Wykeham to endow New College, Oxford, thus creating an absentee landlord for a large part of Hornchurch. The largest residence on the estate was Hackton (not to be confused with Hacton in Upminster) that was roughly where Central Drive is now. Other large properties were Suttons Gate, Suttons Farm, Elm Farm and Sockets (now Albyns Farm, the only one still standing). Suttons farm can be traced back to 1397, the last farmhouse being Victorian. It was used as an airfield in WW1, reverting to a farm after the war and then becoming RAF Hornchurch in 1928. Suttons Gate stood where Ravenscourt Grove is today and was named after a gate on the north side of the house to stop people having access to Suttons Farm. The gate was removed 1840 and the Georgian property was overtaken by residential development in 1936. A small part of the estate in now the Hornchurch Country Park.

1159-09-01 00:00:00

Hornchurch Priory

Founded in 1159, as the hospice of St. Nicholas and St. Bernard, Montjoux (Valais, Switzerland).

1170-09-01 00:00:00

St. Helen and St. Giles Church, Rainham

St. Helen and St. Giles is a complete, late Norman church built by Richard de Lucy, justiciar, who married the daughter of Henry II. The dedication of the church to these two saints is unique in England. It is a Grade1 listed building.

1199-09-01 00:00:00

Rainham Ferry

The ferry from Rainham, Essex to the Lesnes Abbey, Erith in Kent was the lowest crossing on the Thames until the Gravesend- Tilbury ferry was established in 1268. It probably existed before 1199 but this is the first recorded date for it. The ferry was governed by the tide for operation, downstream on the ebb tide and upstream on the incoming tide for the return journey, it was only steered by a rudder and relied on the tide for power.

1200-09-01 00:00:00

Mawneys House

King John granted 'the wood at Romford' to Roger Bigod, the Earl of Norrfolk, at a rent of 5 shillings a year. It stood 150 yards north of Romford High Street on the site now occuppied by the United Services Club. Walter de Mauny held the estate in the 14th centuary when the estate covered 140 acres. It was rebuilt in the 17th century, sold for housing development in 1883 and finally demolished in 1935.

1223-09-01 00:00:00

St. Laurence, Upminster

St. Laurence church has a 13th Century tower, rubble-walled, four square and sturdy buttresses only at the foot. It was much rebuilt by W G Bartlett in 1862-63 but retains the 14th century north arcade with short quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches..

1247-09-01 00:00:00

Romford Market granted Charter

Romford Market Charter granted by Henry III. Under the Charter, no other market could be held within 6 and two-third miles (the distance a flock of sheep could be driven in a day).

1262-09-01 00:00:00

Mitchell or Howard's Mill, Hornchurch

The mill was 300 yards from the rear of St. Andrew's Church in the Dell, Hornchurch. A number of mills stood on this site, the last was post mill which closed down in 1912 an was destroyed by fire in 1921

1323-09-01 00:00:00

Romford Old Chapel

Romford Old Chapel was a wooden chapel of ease by the River Rom for the residents of an expanding Romford. It was built after residents had petitioned monks of St. Bernard at St. Andrew's Hornchurch for a nearer place of worship. It survived for 83 years until overcome by rot.

1450-09-01 00:00:00

Upminster 'Tithe' Barn

Hall Barn

1465-09-01 00:00:00

Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower

The Liberty of Havering was formed by Royal Charter in 1465. The powers of the Liberty had been in gradual decline since around 1828 and in 1892 its Courts of Quarter Sessions and Petty Sessions were transferred to Essex County Council.

1483-09-01 00:00:00

Liberty of Havering Courthouse

Liberty of Havering Courthouse was at the west end of Romford Market, together with a prison cage. It was rebuilt 1737/40, but by 1790 the cells were not being used. Rebuilding took place in 1826 to include two shops on the South Street side. It lost its legal powers in 1892 and was used by the Romford Local Board as council offices until 1931. It was demolished in 1933.

1504-09-01 00:00:00

Sir Anthony Cooke

Sir Anthony Cooke was a scholar and close associate of Henry VIII. He was a tutor to the young Prince Edward, Cooke was knighted in 1547.

1587-09-01 00:00:00

Appleton's Almshouses

Appleton's Almshouses were three cottages and gardens in Hornchurch High Street that were let to poor people at 10 shillings 2 pence per annum. They were demolished in 1967

1592-09-01 00:00:00

Francis Quarles

Francis Quarles, born at Stewards, Romford, became a Royalist poet. His most famous work was Emblems (1635), together with Feast of Wormes (1620) and Argalus and Parthenia (1629). Latterly he wrote tracts in defence of Charles I, consequently having a great deal of his output was destroyed by Parliamentarians during the Civil Wars. In 1618 he married Ursula Woodgate, they had 18 children.

1600-09-01 00:00:00

Will Kemp - Nine Dais Wonder

In 1600, Will Kemp, a clown and actor, danced from London to Norwich, attracting huge crowds. After a slight injury in Chadwell Heath, he was brought to Romford, stayed overnight, and then went back to the point where he stopped dancing before beginning again.

1657-09-01 00:00:00

William Derham FRS

Worcestershire-born William Derham was appointed Rector of St. Laurence's Church, Upminster in 1689. He lived in the village until 1716, when he was made a Canon of Windsor, although he remained Rector until his death. In addition to his ministerial, Derham served as the local physician and took a keen interest in science and nature.

1665-09-01 00:00:00

Upminster Common Mill

Upminster Common Mill off Ivy Lodge Lane was a post mill that ceased trading c.1880

1679-09-01 00:00:00

Ann Tipping

Ann Tipping (nee Cheke) was an educationalist who founded the school in Havering village in 1724 that bears her name. She is buried at St. John the Evangelist Church, Havering-atte-Bower

1696-12-22 00:00:00

James Oglethorpe

Founder of the American state of Georgia in 1731. Retired to Cranham Hall.

1700-09-01 00:00:00

High House Farmhouse, Corbets Tey

Grade 2* listed building

1724-09-01 00:00:00

Dame Tipping School

Dame Tipping School founded by Anne Tipping in 1724. It was rebuilt in 1837 and again in 1891.

1729-09-01 00:00:00

Bower House

Originally named Monthavering it was designed by Henry Flitcroft for the lawyer John Baynes.

1729-09-01 00:00:00

Rainham Hall

Rainham Hall was built in 1729 for Captain John Harle. A National Trust property since 1949 but only opened to the public in 2015.

1760-11-01 00:00:00

Elizabeth Balls - Goat Woman of Havering

Elizabeth lived in Ivy Holt Cottages sometimes there were upwards of 50 goats living with her. Her 'family' in 1815 consisted of 14 goats, 2 sheep, 17 fowls and a French dog.

1784-09-01 00:00:00

Wedlake's Foundry

Wedlake's (Iron) Foundry was founded by Thomas Wedlake

1789-09-01 00:00:00

Hornchurch Brewery

Hornchurch Brewery, Church Hill, was founded by John Woodfine on the site of 16th century Hornchurch Lodge. It owned 36 local pubs including the King's Head and Bridge House. In 1874 it was brought by Henry and Benjamin Holmes, they sold it in 1889 to Charles Dagnall who turned it into a limited company named Old Hornchurch Brewery Company, but this went into liquidation. In 1892 Philip Conron bought it from the Official Receiver and after his death it was run by Stanislaus Conron until 1925 when it was purchased by Mann Crossman for the licensed premises, he let the brewery buildings become derelict and they were pulled down in 1930.

1792-09-01 00:00:00

Round House

Built in Broxhill Road, it was designed as a massive tea caddy for William Sheldon by John Plaw.

1795-04-15 16:06:55

Mendoza v Jackson bare knuckle-fight

A prize fight worth 400 guineas took place in Millfield, Hornchurch between Daniel Mendoza (aka Mendoza the Jew / Star of Israel) and "Gentleman" John Jackson. the contest was won by Jackson after 9 rounds.

1795-09-01 00:00:00

Romford Barracks

Romford Barracks were established for six troops of horses in London Road, extending south down Barrack Road(later Waterloo Road)., during the war with France. They were demolished in 1825

1799-09-01 00:00:00

Edward Ind takes over Star Inn

Edward Ind takes over the Star Inn in Romford.

1800-11-01 00:00:00

Old Chapel

The Old Chapel is a Grade II listed building. Built by Samuel Hammond it was originally known as the "Christian Church of Protestant Dissenters"

1803-11-01 00:00:00

Upminster Windmill

Building started by farmer James Noakes in 1803, this English smock mill is a Grade II* listed building.

1810-01-01 00:00:00

Fairkytes Ironwork

Fairkytes ironworks foundry was opened by brothers Thomas & Robert Wedlake. The foundry was situated in Billet Lane on what is now the green alongside the Queen's Theatre.

1810-05-21 12:07:02

Collier Row Mill

Collier Row Mill was west of Lawns Way, off Chase Cross Road. It was a post mill that ceased trading around 1860.

1833-06-01 00:00:00

Thomas Lewis Wilson 1833-1919

Wilson was the first published author of a book specifically about any of the towns and villages in Havering, with his Sketches of Upminster in 1856. He followed this in 1881 with the illustrated History and Topography of Upminster. His books and research papers have been a major resource and inspiration for local historians in the district ever since. Simon Donoghue - Havering Local Studies Library

1835-12-01 00:00:00

Dry goods measures

ROMHM:2010:.282 Dry goods measures for Liberty of Havering. Inscribed "Thomas Mashiter Esq. High Steward...." Dated 1835

1838-11-01 00:00:00

Romford Union Workhouse (later Oldchurch Hospital)

Romford Union Workhouse, later Oldchurch Hospital, in Oldchurch Road, was built by Francis Edwards in a long façade of 25 bays with bowed centres. Smaller ranges of workshops behind originally contained the cruciform workhouse (demolished in 1993); a standard design of the period, which allowed the segregation of inmates and their observation from the Master's house in the centre. A separate gate lodge and two-storey block served the casual wards. The chapel built in 1839, was destroyed by fire 1975. The site was cleared in 2007 to make way for housing.

1845-10-01 00:00:00

Corn Exchange

Built alongside the Golden Lion in Romford High Street by Harvey George it was later reconstructed in 1861.

1848-05-01 00:00:00

Captain Samuel Davis (1848-1926)

When the First World War broke out, Samuel Davis had already been captain of Romford’s first official fire brigade for almost 25 years. He was co-founder, having gone into partnership with his fellow builder James Everett Dowsing in 1890, close to their premises in Mawney Road. Even though Romford was a large and growing town, the fire brigade numbered only 13 men, many of whom were initially recruited from Dowsing & Davis’ firm. The operated a water tank with a hand pump, on a cart pulled by a pair of horses borrowed from the council dustmen. They had a machine called a quadricycle (essentially two tandem bikes), with the rest of their equipment stored in container between the gears. The brigade attended one particularly notable incident during the First World War. On 14th September 1916, there was a terrific explosion at the Rainham Chemical Works, formally the J.C. and J. Fields factory which manufactured T.N.T. The fire and subsequent explosion was caused by an employee smoking in the room used for drying nitrate soda. Seven people were killed but Davis and his team rescued 69 injured workers. The explosion all but destroyed the factory, blowing much of it into the Thames. For their bravery, each member of Romford Fire Brigade was awarded an O.B.E. on 5th July 1920. Davis’ descendants still own his medal and many of them were inspired to follow his example and join the fire service.

1850-01-01 00:00:00

Corn Exchange Clock

Currently on show in the Museum's 'Made in Havering Gallery'. It has been renovated and converted to run on electricity with a radio link to keep it accurate.

1850-09-19 00:00:00

St. Edward the Confessor Church, Romford Market

The Church of St. Edward the Confessor was consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester on the 19th September 1850, to the Virgin Mary and St. Edward. The architect was John Johnson, the church replaced a chapel which dated from 1410.

1851-09-01 00:00:00

Pyrgo House built

1851 The architect Thomas Allason sent to Greece to study classical architecture for inspiration. It was demolished in 1940.

1857-01-11 00:00:00

Alfred Bennet Bamford

Born in Stanley Lodge, Eastern Road, Romford. He was a water colour artist who specialised in paintings of the Essex Countryside. Died 21st October 1939

1858-12-01 00:00:00

Victoria Flour Mill

The steam powered flour mill opened in 1858 on the corner of Victoria Road and South Street. The site is now occupied by shops in what is now called 'Old Mill Parade'

1864-11-01 00:00:00

Charles Thomas Perfect

Wrote "Hornchurch During the Great war" and other local history books.

Havering Timeline

Launch
Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d

Contact us

We'd love to hear from you. Please send questions or feedback to the below email addresses.

Before contacting us, you may wish to visit our FAQs page which has lots of useful info on Tiki-Toki.

We can be contacted by email at: hello@tiki-toki.com.

You can also follow us on twitter at twitter.com/tiki_toki.

If you are having any problems with Tiki-Toki, please contact us as at: help@tiki-toki.com

Close

Edit this timeline

Enter your name and the secret word given to you by the timeline's owner.

3-40 true Name must be at least three characters
3-40 true You need a secret word to edit this timeline

Checking details

Please check details and try again

Go
Close