History of CLSG

On his death in 1881, William Ward left a generous bequest in his will with the intention of transforming the lives of young women through and inspiring and empowering education.

A successful merchant from Brixton (then a leafy country neighbourhood on the outskirts of London) Ward left a significant portion of his wealth to the foundation and maintenance of 'a High School for Girls to be called by the name and know for ever as "The City of London School for Girls founded by William Ward"'. The school opened its doors on Carmelite Street in 1894. Over 125 years later, a lot has changed. The school has moved, swapping the backroads of Fleet Street for high-walks of the Barbican; it’s grown, from 53 students to nearly 800; and the uniform has changed (twice!). Whilst the school has changed with the times (elocution and needlework no longer feature on the syllabus), some things have remained the same. In the school magazine’s obituary of its first secretary, Miss Mary Renwick, touched upon the school’s early philosophy. For Miss Renwick, the schools function was to provide ‘a broad-mindedness and a freedom’ that other schools were ‘not likely to offer’. The vision for the school remains the same: creating a place of inspirational learning and providing space to pioneer.

1892-03-01 12:00:48

William Ward transforming bequest

The school was founded by a generous bequest from William Ward in 1881 with the aim of transforming the lives of young women through an inspiring and empowering education. In March 1982, a scheme was drawn up by the Law and City Courts Committee and the City Solicitor and was filed in the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division.

1894-09-10 18:16:35

Miss Alice Blagrave

As the school's first Headmistress, Miss Blagrave was crucial in setting the tone and character of the school. She taught Classic, Modern Languages and Maths at the school, and was keen to encourage and aid her students in getting to university.

1894-09-18 00:00:00

CLSG Opens

The school opens its doors on Carmelite Street, with 53 names on the register. By the second term, nearly 40 more girls had joined.

1895-09-10 00:00:00

First Scholarship

In 1895, the Corporation of London offered the first scholarship to pupils who could not afford a place at the school. In the following years, many other scholarships were donated to the school, including the Salters’ Company scholarship, the Davies scholarship and a Rothschild scholarship.

1896-07-14 00:00:00

Foundation of CLOGA

By July 1896, it was time for some of the older pupils to leave the school. To ensure that alumnae kept their connection with the school, the City of London Old Girls Association was started. The association established a number of societies with the school, including a Needlework Guild and a Literary and Dramatic Society, which produced popular performances of Shakespeare and other plays.

1897-03-10 08:02:10

First Edition of the School Magazine

The first issue of the school magazine is published in March 1897. This was sponsored by CLOGA and was edited by a School Editor and Old Girls' Editor. Contributions were supplied by representatives throughout the school.

1903-09-14 00:00:00

Miss Hooper's Drawing Classes

After studying at the Slade, Miss Hooper came to CLSG as Art mistress. Drawing classes were held in the Hall but were not confined to the indoors, with sketching expeditions to Temple Gardens, The President (moored on the Thames)and the grounds of Ashtead Park.

1905-09-12 00:00:00

Playing Fields Open

City of London School opened a new playing field in Catford and in 1905 the grounds were finally made available to the girls’ school. The pupils travelled there to play cricket and games on Monday afternoons. The programme at the 1907 Sports Day included tug of war, kangaroo races, orange and teaspoon, needle and thread, and a three legged race.

1913-03-12 03:20:55

Sports Captains

A photograph of the 1913-14 sports captains, including the first ever cricket captain.

1914-01-05 03:21:42

Miss Ethel Studwick

Miss Blagrave retired due to ill-health in July 1914. For one term the school was kept running by Miss Lee and Miss Turner, before the appointment of Miss Ethel Strudwick was made.

History of CLSG

Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d Game mode