AO Research Institute Davos

1959-06-23 00:00:00

Laboratory of Experimental Surgery Davos established

The first undertaking of the AO founders—Prof Maurice E Müller, Prof Robert Schneider, Prof Hans Willenegger, Prof Martin Allgöwer, and Prof Walter Bandi—was to find a suitable place to conduct research. Davos was selected and the previous tuberculosis facility run by Dr Alexander Spengler in Villa Fontana was identified as the ideal location for the newly established Laboratory for Experimental Surgery—the Labor für experimentelle Chirurgie Davos (LECD). Prof Allgöwer was its first director. Each of the AO founders made significant financial contributions toward the start-up costs for the AO's first research facility, known since June 1992 as the AO Research Institute Davos.

1962-11-01 00:00:00

Bisphosphonates

Prof Herbert A Fleisch (director: 1962–1966) created a biochemistry working group on what are today called bisphosphonates, which target biochemical control of bone formation and removal.

1967-08-31 00:00:00

Labor für experimentelle Chirurgie Davos (LECD)

Under direction of Prof Stephan Perren (Director: 1967-1996), the Labor für experimentelle Chirurgie Davos (LECD) addressed the mechanobiological issues of bone fractures, treatment, and healing.

1972-11-01 00:00:00

Dynamic Compression Plate

The Dynamic Compression Plate (DCP), invented by Prof Stephan Perren and first clinically used by Prof Martin Allgöwer, was approved by the AO Technical Commission.

1992-06-29 00:00:00

AO Research Institute Davos (ARI)

The AO's first research facility, the Labor für experimentelle Chirurgie Davos (LECD)—founded in June 1959—was renamed the AO Research Institute Davos (ARI) when it moved to the newly built AO center. ARI today continues this work to advance patient care through innovative orthopedic research and development.

1992-06-29 00:00:00

Limited Contact Dynamic Compression Plate

The Limited Contact Dynamic Compression Plate (LC-DCP) plate, invented by Prof Stephan Perren and first clinically used by Prof Emanuel Gautier, was approved by the AO Technical Commission.

1996-10-17 01:33:42

Interface biology

The field of interface biology, focusing on implant surface interactions was established at the AO Research Institute Davos.

1996-11-11 01:14:43

Point Contact Fixator

The Point Contact Fixator (PC-Fix), invented by Dr Slobodan Tepic and Prof Stephan Perren and first clinically used by Dr Norbert Haas and Dr Alberto Fernandez, became the first locking plate approved by the AO Technical Commission.

1997-11-01 00:00:00

Osteoporosis field

Prof Erich Schneider (director:1997–2008) introduced the osteoporosis field from a mechanical engineering standpoint into the AO Research Institute Davos.

1998-12-16 00:00:00

Tissue engineering

Prof Mauro Alini introduced the tissue engineering field into the AO Research Institute Davos.

AO Research Institute Davos

Launch
Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d