A History of Parking and Transportation on Campus

Take a look at how getting around campus has evolved since the very first day of class.

When Texas Technological College opened its doors, the campus didn't even have sidewalks. In 1953, Texas Tech began regulating parking on campus with $1 residence hall parking stickers and around 5,000 permits. Now, license-plate recognition systems identify permit holders in lots. Up to 6,000 bicyclists traverse campus each day. 47 buses provide service to more than 35,000 students.

1925-09-30 00:00:00

Texas Technological College opens for classes

910 undergraduate students are enrolled.

1926-10-01 00:00:00

First sidewalk constructed on campus

1928-08-31 00:00:00

Cars parked in front of West Hall

A group of male students sits on the steps of West Hall, then a dormitory.

1930-04-01 00:00:00

Geology class field trip

1931-04-01 20:24:35

Student walking to the Administration Building

1932-05-01 00:00:00

Lubbock Bus Co. begins operations

1934-03-06 00:00:00

Home Economics department vehicle

1936-09-20 03:00:00

Game day parking at Jones Stadium

Aerial view down onto the Texas Technological College campus showing cars parked between the football stadium and West Hall dormitory.

1945-04-01 00:00:00

Departing on a bus trip

1947-04-01 00:00:00

Lubbock Bus Co. drivers pose for a photo

Created by J.A. Fortenberry, the Lubbock Bus Co. provided busing for the City of Lubbock from 1932 to 1959.

A History of Parking and Transportation on Campus

Launch
Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d