Trinity Rd Police Station

1930-01-01 00:00:00

Unemployment Marches

During the early 1930s Britain was suffering from a period of economic downturn know as the Great Depression. In Bristol, nearly 28,000 people were registered at one of the six labour exchanges across the city. The people of Old Market were particularly affected by the Depression; two major local employers – the Great Western Cotton Works and the Bristol Carriage Works had closed down with the loss of several thousand jobs. In Bristol in 1932 there were a number of protest marches across the city. One such march led by the National Unemployed Workers Union on Pancake Day, 1932, led to what has been called the Old Market Riots.

1930-01-01 00:00:00

Jack Williams remembers the Free School where the Police Station is now.

1932-02-09 00:00:00

Old Market Riots

With unemployment benefit being cut by 10% just 11 days earlier, a protest march being led by the National Unemployed Workers Union spiraled out of control into a riot. At Old Market the police attempted to divert the crowd, which had grown to 4,000 – 5,000 people down a side road, Carey’s Lane, next to the King’s Cinema. Mayhem ensued and because of the sheer number of the crowd the police were jostled. The Chief Constable gave the order for batons to be drawn and the protestors charged. Inspector Dyke, the policeman in charge at the scene, reported that ‘sticks with nails protruding were being thrown at and used upon the police. I then gave instructions to the men who arrived with me to clear the street. The crowd was very hostile and it was impossible for any traffic to get away until the crowd was dispersed by the policemen using their sticks.’ Inevitably bystanders were injured. One eye-witness reported ‘The police on mounted horses and other police with batons charged us and drove us back into Old Market Street. Oh yes, people got hurt, people who weren’t even in the scuffle. I can remember … a little lady there, there were a man and a woman there, they were clubbed down. They said they had just come from the pictures. And they had nothing to do with it.’ One policeman and several protestors were seriously injured though no arrests are made. The dispersed crowd re-grouped at the Horsefair, where speeches were delivered. Police reinforcements from the nearby Bridewell were called and the demonstrators dispersed. Two people were arrested for disorderly conduct and assaulting police officers.

1932-02-23 00:00:00

Old Market Riots cont.

Some felt that the police had been too heavy-handed. Councillor H. E. Rogers (Bristol East Divisional Labour Party) wrote to Chief Constable Maby demanding disciplinary action be taken against the police who used unjustified violence. Surely your men have not been instructed to trample to death law-abiding citizens whose only object is to pursue the legitimate conduct of citizens!’ The Watch Committee concluded, however, that the police had acted with ‘commendable restraint’. Two weeks later, despite being refused permission by the police to march, the NUWM lead another protest. Again the march ended in Old Market Street. The South Gloucester Gazette reported: ‘At the unemployed headquarters at Shepherds Hall, over which continually floats the Red flag, a posse of police barred the way. For a time the crowd halted, but eventually, urged on from the back, it advanced again, and the police drew batons in readiness. Immediately came a shower of missiles, half-bricks, coke, gas-piping and iron bars, all of which had been collected by the procession on route. Immediately the police charged and in a moment the demonstrators were scattering in all directions, those who stood their ground being speedily dealt with. Again and again the police swept through their ranks and two ambulances were soon busy carrying casualties to the Infirmary.’ Bill Curtiss, a participant, saw things differently: 'To the right hand side as we were facing Castle Street ... in the annex to the Empire Theatre...he (Chief Constable Maby) had two more motor coach loads of police there in reserve … hiding in the annex and the theory was that if they came out from the annex and took the first dozen rows from behind they'd have the ring leaders and the all the march would break up into disorder...which he wasn't very far wrong ... these other police piled out from the annex and took us from behind ... and of course right away you know a punch up started, people was getting whacked with the batons ... we was getting a right licking…. According to Bill Curtis the demonstrators grabbed anything that was at hand to use as missiles. Market stalls were raided, and potatoes and cabbages and coal was thrown at the police. Photographs of the demonstration show policemen with truncheons beating marchers to the ground. Several bodies lie sprawled on the road, bicycles abandoned, placards discarded. At a press conference the next day Chief Constable Maby justified this brutal containment with a display of weapons - jemmies, batons, metal railings - allegedly taken from the protestors. He claimed that not more than 50 police were engaged in dispersing demonstrators. The Bristol Evening World, however, reported that nearly 300 police took part.

1932-02-27 00:00:00

Old Market Riots Conclusion

By now the disturbances in Bristol had drawn the attention of the Home Office, who made a ‘telephonic inquiry’ about the events. Maby’s subsequent report to the Home Office appeared to be more concerned with the interruption to the traffic than anything else. Maby succinctly described the events in Old Market: ‘One procession proceeded through St Philips down old market street, and another procession, at the same time, marched from the other end of old market street. Causing serious congestion. A cordon of police was immediately lined up across old market street and the marchers requested to stop. They refused and were told they would not be allowed to march any further and must disperse. The marchers then attacked the police with sticks and banners, pieces of iron, stones and other missiles and the inspector in charge gave orders for the police to draw their truncheons and disperse the crowd, and after a short time order was restored. The mounted police were called out, but did not draw their staves.’ The protests continued throughout the Spring of 1932. The police were less heavy handed, preferring to monitor the situation rather wade in.

1939-02-27 00:00:00

Refit for war

Even though bomb damage to Old Market was relatively minimal, the area was certainly aware of the bombings. ‘One of the [air raid] sirens, the nearest one, was on top of the police station at Trinity Road.’ 79 Nearby, Rosemary Street Nursery was also used as an air raid shelter. Only Nos. 1- 4 were destroyed, while the roof of Stevens Almshouse suffered damage from an incendiary device. The goods yard at St Philips Station however, was badly bombed. - Old Market Industrial Archaeology Review. p.9

1943-09-12 20:11:11

Colour Clash

Black servicemen made up 10% of the US Army. Split along racial lines, the US army insisted on maintaining or rather exporting its strict code of segregation into Europe. This was frowned on in Britain, but tolerated. Privately Winston Churchill described the situation as ‘certainly unfortunate.’

1944-09-12 20:11:11

Racial Tension

White GIs would visit the pubs and clubs frequented by Black servicemen looking for a fight. In Old Market the Spread Eagle pub was a favourite haunt of Black service men. True to form there are stories of fights spilling out into Old Market Street and West Street.

1970-01-01 00:00:00

Bernie Mattock

Bernie Mattock talks about his experience being a policeman with many years of service. Starting out with his service at Trinity police station.

2000-04-07 10:53:09

99 Club

Interview with a policemen about his experiences with the 99 club and the criminality involved with the premises.

Trinity Rd Police Station

Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d