St Steevans (Stevens) Alms House

A number of other almshouses were built along Old Market over the years. The most significant of these was built by Alderman Stevens in 1679.

New Management

The management of the almshouses was put in the care of a new body, Bristol Municipal Properties, supposedly free from political interference in 1831. Bristol Municipal Charities took over additional properties in Old Market as a way to secure rents to support its charitable aims.

Incendiary device damages roof during air raid

Although bomb damage to Old Market was relatively minimal, the area was certainly aware of the bombings. ‘One of the [air raid] sirens, the nearest one, was on top of the police station at Trinity Road.’80 Nearby, Rosemary Street Nursery was also used as an air raid shelter. Only Nos. 1- 4 were destroyed, while the roof of Stevens Almshouse suffered damage from an incendiary device.81 The goods yard at St Philips Station however, was badly bombed.

Launch
Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d