School History

A history of St Bernadette's, Preston Village and Brighton

0000-12-25 05:33:11

Birth of Jesus Christ

Jesus is born to Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem.

0033-04-09 05:33:11

Jesus Christ's crucifixion and resurrection

Approximate time of Jesus Christ's crucifixion, death and resurrection.

0043-04-01 00:00:00

Romans Invade Britain for the 3rd and final time

This time the Romans stayed for four hundred years.

0054 BC-05-15 18:59:26

Roman army invades Britain...AGAIN!

One year later Caesar came to Britain again bringing with his five legions and 2000 cavalrymen. This time they reached the River Thames. After more fighting the British celts promised to pay tribute to Rome and the roman army left in peace.

0055 BC-04-08 00:00:00

Roman army invades Britain...

...for the first time. The roman general Julius Caesar took with him two Roman legions. After fighting and winning a number of battles with Celt tribes in the south-east of England he returned back to France.

0100-04-01 00:00:00

Roman Villa (Brighton)

In 1877 remains of a corridor type Roman villa were found under houses and gardens on the corner of Preston Road and Springfield Road near to the south corner of Preston Park. Foundations, walls and pavements were found for a Roman villa that was probably destroyed by fire soon after 270AD.

0410-01-02 21:48:14

The Romans leave Britain

Enter story info here

0600 BC-04-01 00:00:00

Hollingbury Hillfort

Celtic Iron age encampment on the top of Hollingbury Hill, 178m above sea level.

1086-03-29 08:09:26

The Domesday Book

In 1085-86 William the Conqueror sent men all around England to find out how much land each landholder had, how much livestock (animals) they had and what it was all worth. All of this information was collected so that he could find out how much in taxes he was owed. It was then written in Latin in the Domesday Book.

1086-07-01 11:00:33

Bristelmestune - Brighton in the Domesday Book

The Domesday book in 1086 is the earliest written evidence for people living in a town/village in what will one day be called Brighton. At this time the Domesday book calls it 'Bristelmestune' and it is split into three manors, each with a different Lord. Lord Widelard of Balliol - 14 villagers, 21 smallholders, 5 plough lands, 7acres of meadow and woodland. Lord Ralph of Quesnay - 18 villagers, 9 smallholders, 1 slave & 3 ploughlands Lord William of Vatteville - 13 villagers, 11 smallholders, 4 ploughlands & 1 church. It is important to remember that places that are a part of Brighton today such as Preston, Ovingdean, Aldrinton, Hangleton, Patcham, Rottingdean etc. were recorded in the Domesday book as being different places.

1086-07-01 11:00:33

Prestetone - Preston Village in the Domesday Book

The Domesday Book describes the village of Preston (at this time separate to Brighton) as having 62 households, 39 villagers, 23 smallholders, 12 ploughlands, 15acres of meadow, woodland, 1 mill & 1 church. The Lord of the manor was the Bishop of Chichester, Stigand of Selsey. The church mentioned by the Domesday book was replaced in the middle of the 13th Century by St Peter's Church in the grounds of Preston Manor.

1086-07-01 11:00:33

Patcham in the Domesday Book

The Domesday book in 1086 records Patcham as being a separate place to Brighton. It say that the Lords of the manor were 'Richard' and 'William of Warenne'. There were 226 households, 163 villagers, 47 smallholders, 6 slaves, 10 shepherds, 80 ploughlands, 84 acres of meadow, woodland & 1 church.

1545-04-16 08:42:54

French invasion of Brighton

Enter story info here

1752-10-03 01:05:35

Dr Russell makes Brighton popuar

In 1752 a Doctor Richard Russell published a book in English explaining that sea-water near Brighton could help to cure many diseases. Brighton suddenly became very popular!

1787-12-13 02:40:05

Royal Pavilion - Building Starts

In the middle of the 1780s Prince George, son of King George III borrowed a small farm house which over looked a fashionable promenade in Brighton. Brighton was becoming a very popular place for rich and famous people to visit. In 1787 George hired an architect Henry Holland to change his farmhouse into a villa called the 'Marine Pavilion'. In 1808 he built stables next door to house 62 horses.

1811-04-01 00:00:00

Prince George becomes Prince Regent

In 1811 Prince George became the Prince Regent because his father King George III couldn't act as a proper king because of illness. As Prince Regent George had all the powers of being a king without actually being king. In 1815 George asked John Nash to transform the small Marine Pavilion into the much grander palace we see today.

1820-01-29 03:30:00

Prince Regent becomes King

When King George III dies in 1820 Prince George becomes King George IV.

1823-04-01 00:00:00

Royal Pavilion finished

In 1823 the Royal Pavilion is finally finished.

1840-06-14 04:01:09

1840 Brighton

1841-09-21 00:00:00

Railways arrive in Brighton

In 1841 the train line from London to Brighton opening resulting in many more people visiting and eventually living in the town. Brighton begins to grow more rapidly.

1844-01-07 00:00:00

Bernadette Soubirous (Saint) Born

Born in Lourdes, France

1858-02-11 13:27:32

The Virgin Mary appears to Bernadette

The Blessed Virgin Mary appears to Bernadette Soubirous on a total of 18 times at Lourdes

1866-01-07 00:00:00

Bernadette joins the Sisters of Charity of Nevers

At the age of 22 Bernadette joins the sisters at their motherhouse in Nevers. She spends the rest of her life there.

1869-11-01 00:00:00

Preston Park Station opened

Originally opened as 'Preston' train station and was not a part of Brighton. This train station was opened as increasing numbers of people move to the Preston area.

1875-01-01 00:00:00

Local (SCHOOL) Map 1873-75

A map of the area around the school from the Local History Archives at 'The Keep', Brighton. PLEASE CLICK ON THE MAP TO SEE IT IN MORE DETAIL

1879-04-16 00:00:00

Bernadette Soubirous Dies

Bernadette dies of a long term sickness at the age of 35

1898-01-01 00:00:00

Local (SCHOOL) Map 1898

A map of the area around the school from the Local History Archives at 'The Keep', Brighton. PLEASE CLICK ON THE MAP TO SEE IT IN MORE DETAIL

1904-01-01 00:00:00

Sisters of Charity of Nevers come to Brighton

5 Sisters of the Charity of Nevers leave France because of many religious schools are being closed.

1904-04-07 11:00:00

Lourdes Convent Started

The five sisters of charity open a new school in the building previously called 'St Johns'...Lourdes Convent is opened.

1911-01-01 00:00:00

Local (SCHOOL) Map 1911

A map of the area around the school from the Local History Archives at 'The Keep', Brighton. CLICK ON THE MAP TO VIEW.

1912-04-07 11:00:00

St Mary's Church BUILT

The first mass at St Mary's was said on Easter Sunday 1912.

1931-09-04 01:43:50

Lourdes Convent Chapel

Steel frame arrives in Dec 1938 and construction begins in 1939 with it being completed in the first year of the war.

1933-12-08 00:00:00

Bernadette becomes a Saint

Bernadette canonized by Pope Pius XI and becomes Saint Bernadette.

1940-10-14 00:00:00

Grove Lodge (St Bernadette's) Bombed

Second World War Brighton Air Raid - North side of the building destroyed (current Yr1 & 4 classrooms)

1950-09-01 16:13:28

1950 Junior School Rebuild

Enter story info here

1956-04-13 11:04:56

Lourdes Convent (Harrington Road) Closes

Sisters Theresa and Margaret Mary, the last of the Sisters of Charity of Never leave Brighton.

1974-09-01 16:13:28

St Bernadette's Catholic Primary School OPENS

40 years ago Mr Right

1997-08-28 21:50:41

Brighton and Hove...

...become one town.

2000-01-31 00:00:00

Brighton and Hove...

...The Queen chooses Brighton and Hove to become a city to celebrate the new millennium.

2014-02-10 08:45:00

New Entrance Built and opened

New entrance and office built to the left of the Lourdes door.

2016-09-01 15:28:41

Headteacher - Mrs Jacqui Lance

Enter story info here

2019-09-01 15:28:41

Interim Headteacher - Mrs Sarah Clayton

Head teacher of St Mary's Primary, Portslade

2020-09-01 15:28:41

Headteacher - Mrs Claire Smith

Enter story info here

3500 BC-04-01 00:00:00

Whitehawk Camp

5500 years ago stone age people chose to build a set of circular ditches on the top of what we now call Whitehawk Hill (near today's racecourse). Lots of people have tried guessing what these circles may have been used for. What we do know is that archaeologists have found the remains of four burials, tools made of flint and the bones of ox, cattle, pigs and deer. It is unlikely that stone age people actually lived on this site however it is likely that they lived nearby, possibly Brighton's earliest residents?!?! This site is about 1000 years older than Stonehenge and is one of Britain's earliest stone age sites!

School History

Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d Game mode

Contact us

We'd love to hear from you. Please send questions or feedback to the below email addresses.

Before contacting us, you may wish to visit our FAQs page which has lots of useful info on Tiki-Toki.

We can be contacted by email at:

You can also follow us on twitter at

If you are having any problems with Tiki-Toki, please contact us as at:


Edit this timeline

Enter your name and the secret word given to you by the timeline's owner.

3-40 true Name must be at least three characters
3-40 true You need a secret word to edit this timeline

Checking details

Please check details and try again