We welcome your ;xSTx;a href="http://srrc.org/history/history-contribute.php" target="_blank";xETx;contribution of historical photos, documents, and stories;xSTx;/a;xETx;. Also, please consider supporting SRRC's History Project work with an ;xSTx;a href="http://srrc.org/getinvolved/donate-history.php" target="_blank";xETx;online tax-deductible donation;xSTx;/a;xETx;. ;xNLx;;xNLx;We recognize that the vast majority of Salmon River history predates 1849 with the various peoples indigenous to this area. The timeline begins in 1849 for the simple reason that the written history of the area begins at that time. The rich history of the Native Americans is worthy of a much larger timeline.;xNLx;;xNLx;Timeline content © 2017 by respective owners. Site design & timeline by Scott Harding. Special thanks to the Siskiyou County Historical Society (SCHS) for the many old photos.
In a definitive break from the recent dry winters, the winter of 2016-2017 has been the wettest winter in at least a decade. The Salmon River rose above historical average flows in mid-October and, as of late February, it has flowed well above average for months. The river reached its highest levels since the high water in the winter of 2005-2006.
Perhaps there is no more famous Salmon River figure than John Daggett.
Four floods this winter destroyed nearly all mining improvements, wing dams, ditches, and bridges on the Salmon River.
The discovery of gold on the North Fork Salmon River started the Salmon River Gold Rush. Mining dominated the economy of the watershed for the next 90 years in boom and bust cycles and made profound and permanent changes to the land and native people of the area.
Hydraulic mining in Forks of Salmon was perfected by W.P. Bennett in the late 1800s and early 1900s, forever altering the river bars and riparian land while producing large quantities of gold.
William Porter Bennett was a central figure in the development of Forks of Salmon and of Salmon River mining and provisioning in general.
The first winter for white miners on the Salmon River was a tough one, with many near starvation and without supplies.
At least as early as the summer of 1851, white miners and settlers burned multiple Native American villages along the Klamath and Salmon Rivers.
As soon as gold was discovered on the Salmon River, miners needed supplies and, lacking any roads in the area, pack trains were used extensively from 1850 to the early 1900's.
Joining other Salmon River fire lookouts, the Orleans Mountain Lookout, built in 1914, was added to the National Historic Lookout Register.