MAG 1913-1938

The Memorial Art Gallery's first 25 years established the Gallery as the city's fine arts museum.

This is the 2nd in a series of timelines looking at Rochester art and the Memorial Art Gallery in celebration of the Gallery's centennial in October 2013.

1913-10-08 00:00:00

Memorial Art Gallery opens

The Memorial Art Gallery was dedicated October 8, 1913.

1913-10-08 00:00:00

A Memorial Lamp

A group of Friends and Associates of Mr. J. G. Averell donated a memorial lamp to the Gallery.

1913-10-08 01:00:00

The Gallery's first director

George Herdle was not a shoo-in candidate for the Gallery's directorship.

1913-10-09 00:00:00

Memory

Emily Sibley Watson commissioned sculptor William Ordway Partridge to "create a life-size sculpture in fine Carrara marble, as well as a portrait relief of young Averell for its base."

1913-10-09 00:00:00

Sibley & Watson families' first gifts of art

1913 saw the donation of a number of artworks by members of the Sibley & Watson families, the beginning of a long history of such gifts.

1914-01-01 00:00:00

Bragdon's New York Central Railroad Station

Claude Bragdon's terminal for the New York Central Railroad opened in 1914.

1914-01-31 00:00:00

Gallery admits school groups free

In January 1914 it was decided to admit school groups to the Gallery free of charge, when arrangements were made ahead of time.

1914-05-11 00:00:00

Unearthing the Buried Cities of Palestine

The first lecture held at the Gallery by the Archeological Society of Rochester featured Dr. Frederick J. Bliss, discussing excavations in Palestine.

1914-06-12 00:00:00

Paintings owned by Residents of Rochester

In June 1914, the Gallery held the first of several loan exhibitions of paintings owned by residents of Rochester.

1914-09-12 00:00:00

Modern German Posters

Claude Bragdon designed this poster for an exhibition of Modern German Posters at the Gallery in September 1914.

MAG 1913-1938

Launch
Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d