The Prince of Wales (Edward the VIII) drops in for a visit as part of his Canadian tour.
The tidal flat that was Lost Lagoon is turned into a lake with the start of construction of the Stanley Park Causeway. The final touches would be completed in 1926.
Vancouver sculptor Elek Imredy’s Girl in a Wetsuit is unveiled near Brockton Point.
Mayor David Oppenheimer officially opens Stanley Park on September 27th.
Park Board considers building an Indian Museum at Lumberman’s Arch as a post war project.
Spanish and British explorers are the first Europeans to glimpse the heavily forested peninsula that would become Stanley Park.
Brockton Point is cleared as the site for Captain Stamp’s sawmill though it was eventually built at the foot of today’s Dunlevy Street. Many of the park’s trails are old logging skid roads.
Portuguese, Scots, First Nations people and others make their home on the point long before there was a city. 'Portuguese' Joe Silvey was the first European to settle in the future park.
The Canadian Pacific Railway suggest in a letter to the Dominion Government that the lands east of a line between English Bay and Second Beach be given to the railroad “for docks, warehouses and buildings.” This request included Coal Harbour and the future Brockton Point.
The first order of business for the first meeting of the newly minted City of Vancouver council on May 12, 1886, was to pass a resolution to ask the Dominion Government to convey the peninsula known as the Government Reserve to the City “in order that it be used by the inhabitants of said City of Vancouver as a park.”