History of St Paul's Girls' School

1894-06-26 00:00:00

New Mercers' Girls' School

The Commission for Endowed Schools asked the Worshipful Company of Mercers to use their existing funds to found a girls' school. The Company had been contemplating the foundation of a girls' school since c.1872 when Baron Lyttleton, Chair of the new Commission for Endowed Schools, had first approached the Company and asked whether they would consider diverting some of the funds of the John Colet Foundation towards a girls' school. Around 1509, John Colet, the Dean of St Paul's, had directed his vast fortune towards forming a boys' school.

1895-03-01 00:00:00

Brook Green

Brook Green is selected as the site for the Mercers' new school. Other sites in Hampstead and Kensington had also been considered.

1896-03-01 00:00:00

Architect

Gerard Horsley is selected as the architect for the Mercers' Company's new girls' school.

1897-04-09 00:00:00

Naming of the School

St Paul's Girls' School is formally adopted as the name for the school. In previous documents, it had been referred to as Dean Colet's Girls' School.

1901-01-19 00:00:00

Building Begins

Work begins on St Paul's Girls' School on Brook Green.

1903-03-01 00:00:00

Miss Frances Gray

Miss Frances Ralph Gray is appointed Head Mistress (1903-1910) and then High Mistress (1910-1927). Frances Gray had been educated at Newnham College, Cambridge and had been a Classical Lecturer at Westfield College, London and Head Mistress at St Katharine's College, Fife.

1904-04-15 00:00:00

School Opening

The official opening of St Paul's on 15 April 1904 by HRH Mary (Princess of Wales), accompanied by her husband (and future King) HRH George V. Original school fees were £7 per term.

1904-04-15 00:00:00

Field Club

The first society is formed. The Field Club brings girls on botanical expeditions.

1907-05-01 00:00:00

First Librarian

Miss Noakes serves as the first librarian at St Paul's. She is credited for organising the books in her own hybrid system, called 'modified Dewey'.

1910-05-01 00:00:00

The Organ

In the summer of 1910, the harmonium in the Great Hall is replaced with an organ from JW Walker & Sons. The inaugural concert was given by Sir Frederick Bridge, who also played at Westminster Abbey for HRH Queen Victoria's Jubilee and HRH Edward VII's coronation.

History of St Paul's Girls' School

Launch
Copy this timeline Login to copy this timeline 3d